Spring Audition Info
CSO and CCO will have the following opening for spring semester:
In chamber orchestra
In Symphony Orchestra
Please complete the audition form
Upon competition you will be assigned an audition time on either Tuesday January 23 or Wednesday January 24, 2018.
Please prepare two contrasting excerpts from the solo repertoire
3 octave scale of your choice and Tchaikovsky 6 excerpt from the fall audition info below.
Audition FAQ and Guide
Look here first if you have questions about the audition
Frequently asked questions
Fall 2017 audition information will be updated by end of June, 2017
In the Fall semester, ALL members [new and old] need to audition.
For the Fall semester we anticipate the following opening
In Chamber Orchestra
Violin 8+8 spots
viola 6 spots
cello 6 spots
bass 2 spots
In Symphony Orchestra
Violin 16 +16 spots
viola 12 spots
cello 12 spots
bass 8 spots
flute - 3 [must be able to double on piccolo]
oboe - 3
clarinet - 1 Eb clarinet, 1 bass clarinet and 2 Bb clarinet
bassoon - 3
french horn - 5
trumpet - 3
trombone - 3
tuba - 1
harp - 1
percussion - 4
piano - 2
Auditions for Fall semester will be held on all auditions will take place in Room 332 or B20 of Lincoln Hall unless indicated otherwise.
complete the audition form at;
Complete an audition form to be assigned an audition time slot during Orientation week and first week of classes (Sunday August 20 - Friday August 25) (You must audition with like instruments during the schedule outlined below)
Orchestra auditions for Fall 2017
Sunday, August 20
330-5 pm Percussion with Michael Sparhuber [confirmed]
5-630 pm Keyboards and harp with Barry Sharp
630 pm Day one conflicts and overflow
Monday, August 21
1030-1230 pm Flutes with Elizabeth Shuhan and Juliana Pepinsky [confirmed]
1230-230 pm oboes and bassoons with Emily DiAngelo and Daniel Hane [confirmed]
3-4 pm Trumpets with Jeff Stockham [confirmed]
4-6 pm Horns with Ilze Brink-Button [confirmed]
630-730 pm Low Brass: trombones, tuba with Melissa Gardiner [confirmed]
730-9 pm Clarinets with Lenora Schneller [confirmed]
9 pm Day two conflicts and overflow
Tuesday, August 22
9 am Audition results for winds, brass and percussion posted on CU Orchestra board
10 - 12 pm bass auditions with Barry Sharp
2-5 pm viola auditions with Alex Trygstad [confirmed]
Wednesday, August 23
10-12 pm cello auditions with John Haines Eitzen [confirmed]
1-3 pm cello auditions with John Haines Eitzen continued
Thursday, August 24
12-4 pm violin auditions part 1 with Timnah Mayer [note new time]
Friday, August 25
9-1 pm violin auditions part 2 with with Timnah Mayer [note new time]
Saturday, August 26
10 am CSO , CCO audition results posted online
Sunday, August 27
2 pm Orchestra picnic
Monday, August 27
445 pm in B20 first rehearsal for CSO
Tuesday, August 28
445 pm in Barnes Hall first rehearsal for CCO
Prepare two contrasting excerpts from the solo repertoire along with a scale of your choice (3 octaves for string players). Audition will be about 10 minutes total.
Main prepared excerpts will be taken from Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.
Part will be posted on July 1.
Specific excerpts will be posted August 1.
Complete an audition form to be assigned an audition time slot during audition week (August 20 - 25, 2017)
Prepared sight seeing excerpt will be posted here on August 1, 2017.
You can start to learn the Tchaikovsky parts using these imslp parts.
Specific excerpts from Tchaik 6 chosen by our lesson teachers.
Mvt. I Bar 66-D
3rd bar of I-2nd bar of K
Mvt. II One bar before K-M
Mvt. IV Second bar of A to low C# in bar 18
Mvt. I C-D
Mvt. III Bar 37-end of bar 45
Tchaikovsky 6, 1st oboe part
Mvmt. II: mm 9-16
Mvmt. III: mm 202-209 & mm. 222-228
From Movement I:
1. Solo after letter B, measures 54 through 58
2. 10 measures after letter M through measure 248
3. Letter T to Andante mosso
From Movement III:
4. Letter H to letter I
from mvt 1 first 12 bars of the bassoon 1 part
Then the rest are from the bassoon 2 part:
-a nice lyrical stretch in 5/4 from the 2nd mvt [counting is the hard part here and most of it is unison between both bassoons], [from letter A to 5th bar of letter B]
-a seemingly never-ending G major/chromatic etude from the end of the 3rd mvt [m.329-342]
-the opening of the 4th mvmt -- this is unison for both bassoons so it makes a really good excerpt for everyone. [m.1-36]
Tchaikovsky 6 horn 1:
1. Movement 1 from pickup to measure 263 to measure 276
2. Movement 2 from measure 17 to measure 24
3. Movement 3 from measure 81 to measure 96
4. Movement 3 from measure 214 to measure 244
5. Movement 4 from pickup to measure 55 to measure 63
Trumpet 1 Part
Mvt. I: Bars 67-76; 133-146, 190-197, 201-213, 260-274
Mvt. II: Bars 65-72 (Letter E), 144-146
Mvt. III: Bars 15-27, 93-96 (Letter K), 312-333
(note: there is a misprint in bar 132 of Mvt III: the half-note on beat 2 should be a quarter note.)
Mvt. IV: Bar 63-79, 111-124
Excerpt 1 - m. 196-229
Excerpt 2 - m. 280-302
Excerpt 1 - m. 205-251
Wagner - Die Meistersinger Overture: From letter I toL
Stravinsky - Petrouchka: Bear Theme (No. 100)
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique: 5th mvt Dies Irae Coda
Mahler - Symphony No. 1 3rd mvt, 4 bars before 3 to 4
Tchaikovsky – The Nutcracker: The Waltz of the Flowers Cadenza
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique: 2nd Movement
-2 bars before  to 
- to Animato
Stravinsky - Petrouchka: Solo(piano)
Tchaikovksy Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, Opening and Cadenza(celeste) from The Nutcracker
Shostakovich Symphony No. 1 mvt 2 2 before rehearsal 18 to rehearsal 22
Be ready to play anywhere between Reh N through Reh U
Reh Ii through Reh Kk
In addition to the timpani excerpts, please prepare an etude for snare and a work for mallets, OR the following excerpts:
Snare: Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade, Mvmt. III, reh. D through reh. E; Mvmt. IV, reh. P through reh. R (via IMSLP)
Xylophone: Gershwin, Porgy and Bess, Overture (contact firstname.lastname@example.org if needed)
Please also be prepared to play a variety of cymbal crashes, and a snare roll from pp<ff>pp.
If you are performing an etude of your choice, please bring a copy of the music for the conductor.
Movt 1: measures 28-34 and 89-101
Movt 2: measures 1-25
Movt 3: measures 40-77
4 after Rehearsal H until 6 after Rehearsal I
Prepare two contrasting excerpts of your choice from the solo repertoire.
Three octave scale of your choice for string players, 2 octave scale for wind and brass players.
• Sign up for your audition time slot using the audition form below.
• In the audition form, indicate a preference for an ensemble. Although the slot is not guaranteed, the student's preference will be given much consideration.
• Thoroughly prepare your audition repertoire.
• Be sure to warm up before the audition. Practice rooms on the basement floor of Lincoln Hall will be available during the entire audition period.
• Please Note: Due to the large number of violins auditioning, the audition format for violins will be as follows. Each person will have 5 minutes; 5 violinists will be scheduled every half hour for a total of 90 slots over the two days.
During the Audition
• Be on time for the appointment. If you are late, you will have a shortened audition.
• Each audition will last 10 minutes (except for violins, see note in "Before Auditioning"
• Prepare 6 to 7 minutes of music to play at the audition. Contrasting excerpts from solo or orchestra literature are recommended: for example, a fast and technically demanding excerpt accompanied with a slow and lyrical excerpt.
• You will also be asked to prepare an excerpt from the standard orchestral repertoire and also to play a three-octave scale of your choice. Transposing instrumentalists may be asked to demonstrate faculty with transposition skills.
• Hint: prepared excerpt will include passages from the 2015-2016 repertoire (subject to change). Download the PDF's here: (these will be available on August 1). (does not apply for spring auditions)
After the Audition
• Results will be posted online at 3 pm on Saturday, August 26, 2017.
• All musicians accepted for membership are expected to attend the organization's first rehearsal, as announced on the posted lists. Be sure to check all of the acceptance lists carefully, as you may not be placed in your first-choice ensemble.
• All orchestra members must be available for all rehearsals and concerts. Please check the schedule of rehearsals and concert dates posted online.
Fall 2017 Audition Form
Auditions will be held from August 20-25, 2017
Auditions are complete for Fall 2017, we are no longer accepting requests for auditions