Spring 2020 Audition Form
If you are interested in auditioning for orchestra for the Spring 2020 season,
please contact conductor Katherine Kilburn at email@example.com.
• Sign up for your audition time slot using the audition form below.
• In the audition form, indicate a preference for an ensemble. Although the slot is not guaranteed, the student's preference will be given much consideration.
• Thoroughly prepare your audition repertoire.
• Be sure to warm up before the audition. Practice rooms on the basement floor of Lincoln Hall will be available during the entire audition period.
• Please Note: Due to a large number of violins auditioning, the audition format for violins will be as follows. Each person will have 5 minutes; 5 violinists will be scheduled every half hour for a total of 90 slots over the two days.
During the Audition
• Be on time for the appointment. If you are late, you will have a shortened audition.
• Each audition will last 10 minutes (except for violins, see note in "Before Auditioning"
• Prepare 6 to 7 minutes of music to play at the audition. Contrasting excerpts from solo or orchestra literature are recommended: for example, a fast and technically demanding excerpt accompanied with a slow and lyrical excerpt.
• You will also be asked to prepare an excerpt from the standard orchestral repertoire and also to play a three-octave scale of your choice. Transposing instrumentalists may be asked to demonstrate faculty with transposition skills.
• Hint: prepared excerpt will include passages from (with few exceptions) will be taken from Brahms Symphony No. 4 and Respighi Pines of Rome. Download the PDF's here: (these will be available on August 1). (does not apply for spring auditions)
After the Audition
• Results will be posted online at 3 pm on Saturday, August 31, 2019
• All musicians accepted for membership are expected to attend the organization's first rehearsal, as announced on the posted lists. Be sure to check all of the acceptance lists carefully, as you may not be placed in your first-choice ensemble.
• All orchestra members must be available for all rehearsals and concerts. Please check the schedule of rehearsals and concert dates posted online.